You would be amazed to know that breastfeeding can burn 200-1000 calories depending on the appetite of the baby and their age
Breastfeeding is the most natural way to shed the extra kilos you gain during pregnancy. You may try gymming, dancing, yoga. But with a small kid, doing all these can be troublesome. Therefore, breastfeeding can be the most natural and the easiest way to burn calories.
A pregnant woman generally gains weight as the body stores fat during pregnancy. If you do not breastfeed, the fat stays there and adds to your body weight. You can lose around half a kilo in a month by natural breastfeeding.
A combination of a healthy diet along with breastfeeding adds to the process of weight loss!
The weight gain during the pregnancy can be shed, but mums generally struggle to get rid of the last few postpartum pounds. It is crucial to avoid stress eating and go on with your weight loss efforts.
Types of food to eat for weight loss while breastfeeding
Plenty of fruits, vegetables, low-fat foods and intake of lots of water helps in weight loss. While you are breastfeeding foods that can help you lose weight are oatmeal, lean protein, green salads, mango, banana, pineapple.
Eat anything but should be done in moderation.
Tips to lose weight while breastfeeding
- Consumption of quality food having enough calories with very less fat and sugar.
- Exercise regime should regularly be changed to push your body towards losing weight.
- Stress may give you a hard time to get rid of your tummy fat learn to manage your stress well
- A good sleep of 8 hours in every 24 hours is a must
- Body strength training helps to lose fat as the body consists of higher muscle percentage the fat burns easily.
- Do not supplement the baby’s diet other than your own milk. Let the baby breastfeed at least for the first 6 months.
- Exercising at least thrice a week for an hour should be put in your routine. Weight loss without exercising while breastfeeding accelerates the process along with balancing the calorie intake.
Myths about Breastfeeding weight gain
Most women think that one tends to put on weight while breastfeeding. But, it is a myth!
This happens because the mothers are stressed and resort to eating more food to destress themselves. Breastfeeding can never make you put on weight. It is possible that weight loss may be slow in the process but will not let you put on weight.
Some facts about breastfeeding and weight loss
- Lactating mothers, who only eat when they are hungry, in moderation, can lose 0.5 kg per month than mothers who are not breastfeeding.
- Losing weight too quickly than the average, i.e., more than 2.5 kg weekly, might release harmful toxins into your breast milk which can be dangerous for your baby.
- Mothers who breastfeed, lose weight easily on their thighs, buns and hips as compared to mums who use formula milk.
So now we know breastfeeding is as essential for your baby’s health as it is for you to stay in shape, loo beautiful and gorgeous!!!