Birth control methods or barrier methods are used to prevent the sperms from reaching the egg. In other words, these are the methods which prevent ovulation. There are many ways we can use for birth control including some in which eggs get fertilized but its implantation inside the uterus is prevented.
Some of the methods of birth control are as follows:
- Sterlization surgery
- Copper intrauterine device
- Surgical sterilization implant
- Shots or injections
- Oral contraceptives or pills with estrogen and progestin
- Implantable Rod
- IUDs with progestin
- The patch
- Oral contraceptives with only progestin
- Vaginal contraceptive ring
- Cervical cap
- Male and female condoms
- Emergency contraception
Condoms and diagrams are ways to ban birth control whereas methods that prevent ovulation is by taking birth control pills. Deciding on the method to choose for birth control is totally a personal choice but should be done after the advice of a medical practitioner. It is it is very important to know the risks and benefits and the effectiveness of various birth control methods which can only be possible by discussing it with a doctor.
Different birth control methods will have different side effects. Choosing a birth control method may depend on various factors like- if you want the method to be a permanent one or a reversible one. No birth control method guarantees 100% prevention of STDs. The success rate and the effectiveness of a method differ from person to person in different given situations.
A few tips to keep in mind while using birth control methods:
- The methods may not be easy to use so you need to be prepared always.
- Always check the expiry dates of products like condoms and other plastic type birth control products which can break if are they have crossed the expired date. Pills may become less effective. It is not advisable to trust birth control products after its expiry date.
- Birth control products like condoms can be damaged in light and heat. It is very important to store this in the right way.
- Always follow the direction of the use of any birth control method. In the heat of the moment, people may end up using it in the wrong way which would reduce the effectiveness of the method.
- Open the wrapper very carefully as it may damage the product.
- The right size needs to be what in use not too big not too small.
Birth control methods are many; which one you want to use is totally up to your discretion and decisions with the help of a doctor.