Generally, Gynecomastia occurs due to swelling of breast tissue. This takes place due to disorder in estrogen and Testosterone hormones to the greater extent
This disease increases pain in their chest, and commonly found in men.
Here are the common symptoms of Gynecomastia:
- Stiffness in breast
- Pain arises gradually
- Discharge of nipples either from one breast or both
- Enlarged breast
- Infants: As a mother is affected by estrogen hormones hence newborn male babies also get affected by this hormones automatically which lead to enlarged breast though this will go within two to three weeks
- Puberty: One of the primary reasons for the formation of swollen breasts in boys which occurs during adolescence due to change in hormones. The swollen breast either takes six months to two years to become normal or need to for some treatment.
- Getting older: Gynecomastia also arises in men who are in between 50 to 69 ages. Generally, almost 25% of men are affected by this disorder in the body.
- Intake of various substances: This also arises when there is consumption of various items such as alcohol, Marijuana, heroin, methadone, etc.
- Health condition: Any condition which disturbs the proper balance between hormones leads to cause severe health issues such as:
- Hypogonadism which related to the production of normal testosterone.
- Aging basically deals with normal aging especially to those who are overweight.
- Tumour is one of the problems which produces different types of hormones lead to an imbalance in their body.
- Hyperthyroidism produces huge numbers of hormones thyroxin from the thyroid gland.
- Almost fifty percent are affected by kidney failure due to the change in hormones.
- Starvation is also one of the issues which create misbalance in the body.
- Due to starvation testosterone levels go down, but estrogen hormones don’t get affected thereby creates an imbalance in hormones.
- Sometimes even medication such as aids, heart, cancer treatment, androgen, etc. has got some side effects due to which it generates different hormones which lead to gynecomastia.
- Usage of shampoos, soaps, etc. is also one of the causes of gynecomastia
Various physical examinations are conducted to know about the existence of gynecomastia. Sometimes doctor also suggests undergoing through different test and scan such as ultrasound, x-ray, blood test, mammograms, computerized tomography scan, etc. to suspect about the disease correctly.
One can opt for Various measures through which we can prevent the risk of gynecomastia are:
- Avoid using drugs such as steroids, heroin, androgen, etc.
- Say no to alcohol
- If you are in continuous intake of medication, then evaluate its side effects with respect to gynecomastia. If it increases this disease, then you should stop taking it and opt for the substitute medicine.
Gynecomastia generally goes away within six months to two years. However, it needs some treatment if cause occurs due to hypogonadism, malnutrition, etc. The doctor may opt for periodic examination of a body check up between every three to six months to recognize improvement, or there is any pain any other problem that arises during this time.
After going through so much process still, the problem continues then the last option left out is surgery which helps to remove excess formation of tissue appeared in the breasts. There are two types of surgery are:
- Liposuction which only removes excess breast fats but not the tissue.
- Mastectomy helps to remove breast tissue. Sometimes this surgery is done through endoscopic.