God has gifted us with five sensory organs.
Ears to see, tongue to taste, skin to touch, nose to smell and eyes to see this world. These sensory organs are the base of human lives as they connect us with the world and its environment. Much larger part of the brain is exclusively customized for eyes, and that makes eyes, the most essential organ of sense. We understand about 80% of all the impression through our sight. So, protect your eyes and don’t take it for granted. Age, genetics and electronics affect our eyesight, so we should adopt few habits and remedies to keep our retina and cornea healthy and make our vision stay healthy, accurate and strong for lifelong.
Here are a few remedies that ensure good health for eyes.
- Eye exercise- Just like exercises of other body parts gives them strength and flexibility; eye exercise does the same. It brings energy and blood flow to your eyes, gives them flexibility, strength, maintains optimal vision, combat eye strain and improves focus and concentration power.
- Pen Exercise -Hold a pen at an arm’s distance and focus on it. Slowly bring it closer to your nose and bring it back to the starting position. Repeat 10 times a day. It will help make eyes muscles strong.
- Roll your eyes- Roll your eyes in a clockwise direction for few seconds. Then, repeat the same and roll your eyes in an anti-clockwise direction. Do it for 2 minutes daily.
- Zooming- Concentrate your vision on a distant object for a while. Or you can simply look at the moon and focus on it 3 to 5 times daily.
- Blinking- Blink your eyes very fast for around 15 to 20 times then, relax for few seconds. Repeat the exercise 4 to 5 daily.
- Palming- Rub your palms vigorously to generate heat and cup them gently over closed eyes. Don’t put pressure on your eyes and ensure that eyelids are completely covered with your palms. Hold eyes till the heat of your palms gets absorbed completely. Repeat this 3 to 4 times.
- Sunning- Allow early morning sun to shine directly on your closed eyes and take deep breaths.
- Rose water- It is widely used in India. Rose water is believed to possess antiseptic and antibacterial properties. Just a few drops of rose water help in cooling down and soothing your eyes and relieve many eye problems.
- Acupressure/Acupuncture- With the help of professionals and after their consultation, you can do acupressure or acupuncture to maintain healthy eyes for lifelong.
- Almonds- Soak 5 to 10 almonds overnight; peel it off in the morning. Either chew it properly or make a paste and consume it with a glass of milk. Almonds are the great source of vitamin- E, Omega-3 fatty acid and anti-oxidant content. It will not only make your vision strong but also brings glow and beauty to your eyes. It also enhances memory and concentration.
- Wash your eyes with Triphala water– SoakTtriphala powder overnight and in the morning strain the liquid. Now wash your eyes with the liquid twice a day. This is an ayurvedic remedy that helps to relax and release eye stress.
Along with the techniques mentioned above, one should also eat food that promotes eye health like green vegetables, carrot, citrus fruits and juices, banana, beans, nuts, fish.